Today at Domestic Diesel and Automotive Services in Chino, CA, we’re tackling a crucial topic that many of our clients with diesel engines come across – the ‘Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor’ message. If you’ve encountered this on your dashboard, don’t worry; we’re here to educate you on the causes and how we can address it.
What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?
First, let’s talk about Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).
It’s a non-toxic solution that plays a critical role in reducing emissions in diesel engines. Specifically, it breaks down harmful nitrogen oxide emissions into harmless nitrogen and water vapor. It’s essential for meeting environmental standards and keeping your engine running clean.
Why Does DEF Quality Matter?
Your truck’s system is designed to monitor the quality of DEF closely. If the DEF quality is poor, it can lead to increased emissions, which is bad for the environment, and it can ultimately lead to your vehicle going into a reduced engine power mode to prevent damage.
Common Causes of DEF Quality Issues:
- Contamination: One of the most common causes of DEF quality issues is contamination. This could be due to using a non-DEF substance mistakenly or due to contaminants in the storage container. Even small amounts of foreign substances can trigger the system’s sensors.
- Incorrect Fluid Concentration: DEF is formulated with a specific ratio of urea to deionized water. If this concentration is off, perhaps due to topping off with an incorrect product, it can cause the ‘poor quality’ alert.
- Improper Storage: DEF has a shelf life and is sensitive to extreme temperatures. If it’s stored improperly, such as in direct sunlight or in freezing conditions, its quality can degrade.
- Sensor Malfunction: Sometimes, the issue isn’t with the DEF itself but with a faulty sensor that’s reading the quality incorrectly.
How We Can Help:
At Domestic Diesel and Automotive Services, we’ve equipped our shop with the industry’s leading tools and equipment to ensure we provide the best service for your truck.
If your diesel is showing a DEF quality poor message, here’s how we’ll address it:
- Thorough Inspection: We’ll start with a thorough inspection to determine if the message is due to actual poor quality fluid or a sensor error.
- DEF System Flush: If contamination is the issue, we might perform a DEF system flush to remove the contaminated fluid and replace it with fresh, high-quality DEF.
- Sensor Check: We’ll inspect the DEF quality sensors to ensure they are functioning correctly and replace them if needed.
- Software Updates: Your truck’s software will be checked for updates, as sometimes the system may just need an update to correctly assess DEF quality.
- Education on Proper Maintenance: We’ll also provide you with tips on how to properly maintain your DEF system, including proper storage of DEF and regular checks to ensure you’re using the right product.
The ‘Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor’ message is your truck’s way of telling you it needs attention. At Domestic Diesel and Automotive Services, we have the expertise to diagnose and address these issues, ensuring your truck continues to meet emission standards and runs efficiently.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us at (909) 627-0500 or visit us at 4588 Carter Ct. Chino, CA 91710. For more information or to book a service, visit our website at Domestic Diesel and Automotive Services. Remember, taking care of your DEF system is not just good for your truck; it’s good for our environment.